Thursday, March 5, 2015

How not to procrastinate -Just Do It !



Okay here is a big confession - I think I am the biggest procratinator in the world!
I have big plans, tasks, ideas. I also know I am capable of doing them. But then, I just can't get myself to start them, or stop them midway. Even small simple chores.
Distractions. Big time !!
I have to dissect this. At the end of the day the procrastination only leaves me guilty and more often than not disgusted and ashamed at myself.
What is it?

#Does instant gratification score more over long term happiness?
# Self control is below zero?
# Or is it perfection or a fear of failure? Do I expect too much of myself, that I am even afraid to start?

How do I go about tackling this . It is becoming a habit, a whirlpool that I am getting sucked into. Unless I consciously pull myself out of it, I might get sucked in.
Okay, so let me start with a few quick things.

# Set  a miniscule set of goals each day. Could be something like sorting just a small section of clothes (maybe even just the lingerie), or making sure I set aside ten minutes to sow those coriander seeds I have been meaning to forever.
# Break down big tasks into small achievable tasks. That way it seems more doable and less daunting.
# Turn off temptations. Maybe switch off wifi for the amount of time I have set to work. Turn off the notification sounds from all messengers/ social media/ email services etc.
# Some tasks like daily chores which do not require any creativity can be set to a timer. That way I will work to achieve a self set deadline.
# Set reminders and alarms for taking medicines/ exercise or any others however mundane or small, but is getting put off or forgotten
# Do something different in between tasks to set off boredom.

Hopefully these techniques help me. Right now I am happy I wrote this and didn't put it off. Yayy! One goal of the day achieved :-)

For now let me "Just do it, and then sit back and wonder, "how did I manage to do it?" " !!


No comments:

Post a Comment